A Victory Without Danger is a Triumph Without Glory

What inspires me today...
Skill sets.

In a comment a few posts down, a friend of mine reminded me that I am good at knowing when something just isn't going to work out, and getting out of there as soon as this realization hits.  Some would call this "lazy" or "quitting," but I prefer "realistic."  

Yes, they made up a position for me on the soccer team when I was young.  "Right Winger" is not a real term, there is no such thing as a professional goalie helper.  As soon as I realized this fact, no amount of pizza parties, Capri Suns, or orange slices in the mini van could get me back out on that field of humiliation.

Went to a basketball camp with a friend in Jr. High, but I couldn't make it past the drills.  Layups are not as simple as the coaches kept insisting they were.

Tee ball. I was pretty good at this. If the natural progression wasn't to softball, I might still be playing.

Cross country was too hard.  A three mile run should be THE run, not a warm-up.

Tennis is a fun recreation, but lessons are long, and it was easier to argue my way out of them than just suck it up and go.

Needless to say, I do not have any sports under my belt that I  could label myself as especially "good at."

With one exception...

Capture the flag.

If you have never played capture the flag, your life is a little bit less than you thought it was.  
Two teams, two flags, two jails, one awesome game.
I couldn't tell you why I want that flag badly enough to actually try at this game, but when everything is all lined up, nothing could stop me.  Maybe I envision that little flag as a cure for cancer, a winning lottery ticket, world peace, an American flag in the grip of the Soviets... Whatever the reason, I wanted it. Badly.

As the self-proclaimed "least competitive person in the world," this game is the exception that proves the rule.  I would betray my own family to capture that flag.

Some see a bandana... I see opportunity for greatness.

The only reason I passed PE in high school was because of this blessed sport, and for that, I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Harbor Beach memories xoxo If only I'd known how much you loved it, I would have fought to have it included in the Olympics..

    ReplyDelete
  2. some friends started up a weekly adult game of capture the flag at Laurelhurst Park a few summers ago... I should bug them to start that back up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails