Smash Your Head

What inspires me today...
Mash-ups

Finally I have found a genre of music that doesn't limit me to contradict myself, or sound like a music schizophrenic.  Have you ever felt yourself torn at the thought of having to choose between Tears for Fears, The White Stripes, Wheatus, and Dre to fill the three point five minutes you have waiting for the bus?  Well, thanks to modern technology and some guys with keen musical ear but no talent for instruments, the mash-up has arrived. 

ARTISTS of NOTE:
GirlTalk
E-603
Super Mash Bro's
Norwegian Recycling

Some might think, hey wait, I have no musical talent, but I do have a lot of free time, a wide and diverse selection of music on my iTunes, as well as garage band pre-installed on my MacBook Pro... Can I become a mashup god?

No. 

These people have actually mastered seamlessly overlaying tracks with vocals, and let me tell you, I believe mixing Missy Elliot feat. Ludacris with Daft Punk to create something magical.  They also perform, and though all their music is free online, seeing them get all sweaty in their awkward hoodies to perform their masterpieces live is not. 

Ethics: Should they have to pay for the 20 seconds of sampled music, even if they don't charge for their CD's?  Is offering these artists' music online for free plagiarism?  Is this challenging the limits of public vs. private property and appropriation lines?  What is "original"?  If they were in music class, would they get and A for being badass, or a 0 for cheating?  Have you heard Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone" next to Beyonce's "Halo"?

Moral: Is it worth it to live in a world where our children will believe that nirvana and n*sync can cooperate in perfect harmony?  That, my friends, is a world I want to live in.

Also, if you are further interested in the art/controversy that is mash-up, and you have 86 minutes to spare (which you probably do, since you're reading my blog...) watch RiP: A Remix Manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails