No Furniture So Charming as Books.

What inspires me today...

The library.

AN EPIPHANY THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE: In the library, no one cares that you're antisocial.

People are even grateful that you don't say a word.  If they weren't in a library, they would applaud the silence.  But I guess that would remove their reason for clapping, while simultaneously disrupting the silence... So, instead, I choose to soak in the immense quiet cheers from my surrounding readers.  Hey, you, in the corner, I know that cough was for me, and it means a lot.

Yes, it may seem pathetic to find so much pleasure and joy in isolation, but for an introvert who constantly toes the line of extroversion, mecca couldn't be closer than those musty old shelves and tiny study desks.

I have 4 different library cards from 4 different cities.

And if you refuse to take my word for it...
Jorges Luis Borges, who Wikipedia tells me is an Argentinian writer, essayist, and poet, shares my sentiments exactly.  And I quote:
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."
If he isn't the ultimate authority on everything, I don't know who is.

Also, there are books in libraries.  

 Meaningful excerpts from the last few novels I have read:
"Peace is a time when people can tell each other their real names."
"We used to fight over the little windup box because i liked to listen to the news and the current affairs.  But now that I was hiding in the jungle behind the beach I wished I had never fought with my sister, Nkiruka loved music and now I saw that she was right because life is extremely short and you cannot dance to current affairs."
-Chris Cleave (Little Bee)

"He was still too young to know that the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past."
"Let me stay here.  There was soap."
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Love in the Time of Cholera)

"If someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." 
-Oprah (She has a book club... so...)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails