What's cookin' good lookin'?

What inspires me today...
Cooking.

If you know me, you may or may not be aware that I am possibly the worst cook.  While most people think that the food I create is too "basic" or "boring" or "not good," I thoroughly enjoy my simple tastes.  Cereal is a staple, soup is wonderful, and there are amazing things you can do with brown rice or a sandwich.

This is installment numero uno of   KATIE CAN COOK,   a beginner's guide to preparing food that most people won't enjoy unless you like cereal, soup, and weird vegetables.

My latest invention: Kale Salad

If you don't know much about Kale: 
  • It is a wild cabbage
  • Believed to have anti-cancerous properties
  • Curly leaf is the best
  • Vitamin's K and C
  • Carotenoids
  • Iron
  • Calcium

Mmm, calciferous!

So, normally, I prepare kale in this manner:
1. cut up some garlic
2. cut up some onion
3. cook that in some olive oil in a big ol' frying pan
4. add de-stemmed small-ish piece of kale
5. cover for about 8 minutes with another big ol' frying pan
6. de-cover and drench with balsamic vinegar
7. flip around with some tongs for a few more minutes, until bright green and either crispy or soft (whatever I'm feeling that night)

Then, I put that over some brown rice, add a thickly sliced tomato, and BAM! Dinner.

But this time, I revolutionized my meal.

I prepared the rice and kale in the same manner as before, but this time, I changed some things around.
I put the bed of brown rice, the hot kale, the usual tomato, nothing too out of the ordinary here... BUT THEN, I cut up and heated some small slices of savory-flavored tofu.  I went on... I added half an avocado, and lettuce.  I then tossed that all together with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Yeah.  I went there.

Take my word for it, it was delicious.

"Delicious and nutritious!"
-Katie, 6/1/10

But if you foolishly refuse to take my word for it, take my roommate Ashley's word for it:

"Yum!"
-Ashley, 6/1/10

Let Katie make a believer out of YOU!

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome and I'll be over for dinner asap..xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds gross, I won't lie. Learn how to cook some Mexican food and we'll talk.
    P.S. I love Yan Can Cook.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails