If that's movin' up, then I'm...

What inspires me today...
Moving (again)

How I know that I am not a hipster: I absolutely and unashamedly love the music of Billy Joel.

As my time comes to an end at the ever entertaining and mysterious condo, I will pack my things into a small four-door, try and avoid buying anything that the lady who rented us the room is selling (she, also, is moving), and try to get my security deposit back in full despite a semi-broken sliding closet door.

As this time comes to an end, I have some lessons that I've learned, which are all fully insightful and useful, no matter your living situation.  With that, I give you....

Wisdom from the Condo: 
Reflections From Living With Strangers
  • It's great living with a 19 year-old drug dealer, he never left his room and just "jams" all day to Sublime and Marley (when not watching TV or zoning out in complete silence). 
  • If the person you're living with says you can eat "whatever you want," that is a loaded statement.  Take full advantage of condiments and cooking implements, but steer clear of leftovers.  That feels creepy. 
  • You may call the lady that rented you the room "mom," her son "brother/boyfriend," but don't call her boyfriend "dad."  This is mostly a spiteful gesture that shows him you still have some control. 
  • If there is a hot tub, use it.
  • If the 19 year-old drug dealer son sits at home literally all day doing nothing, but somehow can't find the time to wash a dish, this can play to your advantage.  If you do the dishes, mom feels bad you had to do them, if you leave them she feels bad because her son is a complete derelict.  Win-win for pull with the security deposit.
  • If your closet door breaks, hopefully the dish situation pans out in your favor.
  • If people ahead of time talk about a "condo crew" that lives in the same complex and all supposedly hang out by the pool, don't believe them.  They may exist, but you haven't seen any evidence of them thus far. 

Now I'm off, finally moving into a house full of friends.  I may take a roll of toilet paper on my way out.

2 comments:

  1. Living with a drug dealer? And now you are a toilet paper thief too? What's become of you Katherine??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually insane... condo living sounds way better than our house.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails